GENERAL PICKETT'S MONUMENT REDEDICATED

The Stainless Banner is raised in Hollywood Cemetery
The Stainless Banner (General Pickett's favorite flag) is raised over Hollywood Cemetery
 
On March 22, 1998, following a six-month restoration project [see related story], the Virginia Division UDC's Janet Randolph Chapter rededicated the monument placed over the gravesite of Confederate General George E. Pickett in Richmond's Hollywood Cemetery in 1888.
 
Reilly's 10th North Carolina Battery
The 10th North Carolina, Reilly's Battery, offers honors

Members of the 57th Virginia Infantry lead the procession

Members of the 57th Virginia Infantry, Company B, lead the procession to the monument

Dignitaries watch the ceremony

Janet Randolph member and project organizer Patricia Wood (left), her husband Dwight, Ray Pickett (captain of Company B but not related to General Pickett), Mrs. William Pickett (mother of Ray Pickett), and Mrs. Christiancy Pickett, Jr. (wife of the oldest Pickett great-grandson) watch the proceedings

Kathy Georg Harrison gives the keynote address

Kathy Georg Harrison, author of Nothing But Glory: Pickett's Men at Gettysburg, gives the keynote address

Crosses of Military Service are given to Chris and Bill Pickett

The UDC's Cross of Military Service (presented to the direct descendants of Confederate veterans for service in America's military conflicts) is awarded to Christiancy Pickett, Jr. (great-grandson of General George E. Pickett) (left).

Rededicated monument

The newly rededicated Pickett monument. Note the grave marker in front, which was placed the previous day during the reinterment of the General's widow, LaSalle Corbell Pickett.

Henry Kidd sketch of Pickett monument
Limited edition sketch done by artist Henry Kidd for the Pickett monument rededication. General Pickett is shown on the left; his wife LaSalle is on the right.

Reproduction of floral display presented at the 1888 monument unveiling Mr. and Mrs. Dwight Wood, Jr., with a reproduction of the floral display that was presented at the original dedication of the monument on October 5, 1888. The arrangement was considered unique and was pictured on the front page of many Virginia newspapers.

The reproduction used at the monument rededication was identical to the original in appearance but was made of silk flowers.


Return to Virginia Division Archives